Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ring the Alarm!

. . . fire in the house! in the immortal words of (heheheheheh) Christina Aguilera et al.

. . .didja hear my gasp of disbelief? I was skimming the NYT headlines, and each has a little excerpt to entice you into actually reading the article. This paragraph is simply breath-taking:
For a presidency still haunted by memories of Hurricane Katrina, the forceful round-the-clock response was a political no-brainer — the “anti-Katrina,” in the words of Peter Wehner, a former domestic policy adviser to Mr. Bush.
The unmitigated gall! The effrontery! The baldfaced chutzpah! The, the, the. . .excuse me while I hyperventilate.

How could anyone possessing the capacity to make meaning out of print pass this by unnoticed?

I will spell it out, however, because that is how I do: THERE IS A STRONG RESPONSE TO THE FIRE EMERGENCY BECAUSE THEM BE RICH WHITE PEOPLE.

If the fires were taking place in Richmond or in Oakland (not the Here There Be White People Hills, I mean the real Oakland), let's say, or in Compton, or in some parts of Long Beach (not Belmont Shores), they would be permitted to burn merrily and in fact, there might be a wienie and marshmallow roast.

No comments: